Source : Mailist – May 08, 2011
Job specification (Aceh, Indonesia)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Start Date : As soon as possible
Duration of Position : One year (with possible extension)
Probation Period : 3 months (International staff) and None (National Staff)
Salary : 2500-4500/month gross (depending on qualifications and experience)
Location : Aceh, Indonesia
Benefits : Health and life insurance
Job Title : REDD Communities Specialist
Line Manager : Matthew Linkie, Manager, FFI Aceh Program
Operational reporting : Head, Socio-Economic Division, Ulu Masen REDD Project Management Unit
Location : Aceh
Line manages : FFI Aceh REDD Advisor
The Community Specialist will support community components of the Ulu Masen REDD project in Aceh.
The Community Specialist, in collaboration with the FFI Aceh Programme and the Government of Aceh, and with technical support from the FFI Environmental
Markets Team, will be responsible for the technical delivery and on the ground implementation of an innovative and commercially viable Reduced Emissions fromDeforestation and Degradation (REDD) project.
1. REDD Project Development
• Coordinate the completion of relevant community sections of a Project Design Document (PDD) under the Climate, Community, and Biodiversity (CCB) standards.
o Conduct a gap-analysis based on community components of the CCB standards and project activities and design elements completed to date.
o On the basis of the gap analysis modify the Government of Aceh/FFI work plan and budget to address the gaps identified.
o Draft and finalize all relevant sections of the PDD.
• Oversee implementation of the work plan with a focus on a REDD/Project awareness-raising programme and Free, Prior and Informed Consent process in communities around the Ulu Masen REDD project area initiated for each of the proposed projects.
• Feed into the risk analyses of the projects and flag issues that may result in project failure to FFI and the Government of Aceh.
• Support Government of Aceh in drafting a Governor Regulation (Peraturan Gubernor) that ensures that Ulu Masen carbon credits can only be sold if accompanied by a PDD under CCB.
• Work with the FFI Aceh Programme Manager in identifying and applying for relevant funding.
• Work with the Government of Aceh and Carbon Conservation in the design and completion of the Aceh PDD.
• Support FFI Aceh and the Government of Aceh in the implementation of these aspects with a focus on: Free, Prior and Informed Consent, calculation and addressing project opportunity costs, equitable and efficient benefit sharing mechanisms, institutional arrangements and legal implications of the projects on community well-being.
• Provide the Government of Aceh with clear guidance on community aspects of the Ulu Masen REDD project and on the format and content of project design documentation and ensure that the project and related documentation meets best practice requirements.
• Ensure appropriate internal reviews of the PDD prior to external audit.
• Collaborate with FFI Aceh and the Government of Aceh in drafting the terms of reference for external audit of each PDD against appropriate external standards and secure appropriate audit expertise.
3. Learning (Assessment & Dissemination)
• Track key developments in methodology and approaches to developing REDD projects with a focus on Social-Cultural-Economic Assessments; Free, Prior and
Informed Consent; Opportunity Costs; identifying implementation strategies to address effectively the key drivers of deforestation and degradation.
• Ensure key issues and lessons learned are shared between projects to ensure increasing efficiency of implementation and that issues arising are quickly flagged to avoid potential pitfalls.
• Document the methodology used to ensure consistency and transparency of approach.
FFI is seeking an individual with the following:
• A self starter with a proven track record of successful delivery of projects against deadline in a relevant field;
• Excellent organisational skills;
• An ability to think, plan and manage strategically;
• Experience in engaging with multilateral grant agencies;
• Excellent communication skills, including project activity preparation and report-writing;
• Experience in working within a local team, and working as a team player;
• Excellent communication skills in both Bahasa Indonesia and English, including report-writing and presentations (for international applicants, Indonesian language
support can be provided);
• Creativity, flexibility, and ability to thrive in a dynamic environment;
• A solid understanding of the issues surrounding avoided deforestation (or REDD), in particular community related issues, such as the CCB standard and the Free, Prior and Informed Consent process;
• An ability to communicate publicly and with a wide range of audiences, including statutory donors, NGO, government and corporate partners, and colleagues at all levels; and,
• Experience in dealing with Government and public sector regulators in Indonesia.
An application consisting of a covering letter explaining why you feel you should be considered for this post, a full CV and contact details for two referees should be sent to Ibu Lilis (email@example.com), cc-ing firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for this position is 3rd June 2011. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.