Source : Mailist- 13 June 2011
Job Title : Scientist, Global Comparative Study on REDD+ (Ref: 1112)
Reference : (StopDodo.com – Home of Environment Jobs)
Sectors : Forestry & Arboriculture, Carbon, Climate, Environment Policy
Location : Indonesia
Job Type : Fixed Term / Permanent
Job Status : Full Time
Level : Senior Level
Deadline : 30/06/2011
Company Name : Centre for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)
Website : Further Details / Applications
Programme: Forests & Governance
Research Domain: Forests and Climate Change Mitigation
The Center for International Forestry Research advances human wellbeing, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. We are one of 15 centres within the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, and we have offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
CIFOR is looking for a Scientist, GCS-REDD.
In 2009, CIFOR started a multidonor funded Global Comparative Study on REDD+ (GCS-REDD+) in 4 countries (Indonesia, Brazil, Bolivia and Cameroon). More countries phased in during 2010 (Tanzania, Vietnam and, Peru), and others will be included in 2011 (DR Congo and Nepal). This GCS-REDD+ is a 4-year global comparative research project on first-generation REDD+ demonstration and readiness activities in selected countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America. The project consists of 4 components: national initiatives around policy processes and strategies, demonstration activities, monitoring and reference levels, and knowledge sharing. Overall goal of the project is to provide REDD+ policy makers and practitioner communities with the information, analysis and tools they need to ensure effective and cost-efficient reduction of carbon emissions with equitable impacts and co-benefits such as poverty alleviation and biodiversity conservation – the ‘3E+’ criteria.
The aim of the research is to identify how potential barriers and constraints in national REDD+ policy arenas can be addressed through design (and recognition of context). We will use comparative research to analyse the country specific circumstances and the factors that explain varying 3E outcomes from national strategies. The specific research objective is to inform future REDD+ design by providing research-based options for achieving efficient, effective and equitable REDD+.
The Scientist’s research will contribute to the development of policy-relevant conclusions on institutional design for specific country and regional contexts.
The Scientist’s work will be integrated and supported by the GCS-REDD+national REDD+ strategies component and will be attached to the Forests and Governance Programme. The Scientist will be responsible to the programme director and under the immediate supervision of the component leader.
Duties and responsibilities
* Contribute to the objectives of GCS-REDD+ and work on national REDD+ policies and strategies and the governance dimensions of REDD+
* Conduct comparative analysis on REDD+ institutional architecture
* Contribute to the analysis of broader reform process and needs, linked to national strategies and policies for REDD+ with a specific focus on tenure and decentralisation policies, in collaboration with partners in at least 9 different countries.
* Design and conduct research on the finance related aspects of REDD+ and the political dimension of monitoring, reporting and verification of REDD+ systems
* Conduct research on lessons learnt on former reform efforts in and outside the forest sector at different scales and its relevance for REDD+ design options
* Explore funding opportunities and lead and contribute to new research proposals
Education, experience and technical skills
* PhD in the social sciences, preferably in political sciences, with background in forests and or environmental governance, institutional analysis, financial mechanisms, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and comparative analysis.
* At least 5 years professional work experience.
* Knowledge of REDD+, governance and political economy of land use and deforestation.
* Experience in supervision of junior scientists or doctoral students.
* Experience in project management and partner liaison.
* Fluency in English is required. Fluency in other languages used in countries where CIFOR works will be appreciated.
Personal attributes and competencies
* Excellent analytical skills
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experienced in working with multicultural and multidisciplinary research teams
* Have initiative and capable of working independently as well as in team environments
* Competency in personal organisation, priority setting and managing multiple tasks
* Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
Terms and Conditions
* CIFOR offers a competitive remuneration in USD and will be commensurate with skills and experience.
* The appointment will be for a period of three years with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
* The duty station will be at the CIFOR headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.
* We will acknowledge all applications, but we will contact only short-listed candidates.
Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
email@example.com , Please indicate the position and its reference number in the email subject line.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer.
Staff diversity contributes to excellence.