Source : Mailist- 13 June 2011
Job Title : Scientist, REDD-Carbon Monitoring (Ref: 1105)
Reference : (StopDodo.com – Home of Environment Jobs)
Sectors : Forestry & Arboriculture, Carbon, Climate, Environment Policy
Location : Indonesia
Job Type : Fixed Term / Permanent
Job Status : Full Time
Level : Mid Level
Deadline : 30/06/2011
Company Name : Centre for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)
Website : Further Details / Applications
Scientist, REDD-Carbon Monitoring (Ref: 1105)
Programme: Environmental Services & Sustainable Use of Forests
Research Domain: Forests and Climate Change Mitigation
The Center for International Forestry Research advances human wellbeing, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. We are one of 15 centres within the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, and we have offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
CIFOR is looking for a Scientist, REDD-Carbon Monitoring.
CIFOR is currently working in Bolivia, Cameroon, Indonesia and Vietnam on monitoring reporting and verification (MRV) practices. We plan to expand this work to cover 6-8 countries in the coming 3 years. Country teams are conducting surveys to emissions levels that meet international requirements.
The Scientist will undertake a comparative research project on carbon monitoring in countries participating in REDD.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Develop an internationally recognized research program in the area of land use change and greenhouse gas emissions from soils, with emphasis on peatlands.
* Organize data collection for at several sites across Indonesia: biomass equations, IPCC factors, non-CO2 greenhouse gases, etc.
* Supervise research projects of several PhD students, postdocs and the field laboratory in Jambi.
* Synthesize results and ensure communication of CIFOR’s research at international scientific and policy meetings
* Build capacity among local researchers through training in IPCC accounting methods, how to develop biomass equations, expansion factors, etc., for advanced carbon accounting.
Details of duties, assignments and objectives will be further discussed and laid out in the staff’s annual performance contract.
Education, experience and technical skills
* PhD in forestry, ecology, soils or another related field.
* Have good quantitative skills.
* Fluency in English is required. Fluency in other languages used in countries where CIFOR works will be appreciated.
* Experience with working in developing countries.
Personal attributes and competencies
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experienced in working with multicultural and multidisciplinary research teams.
* Excellent facilitation skills.
* Have initiative and capable of working independently as well as in team environments.
* Competency in personal organization, priority setting and managing multiple tasks.
* Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and Conditions
* CIFOR offers a competitive remuneration in USD and will be commensurate with skills and experience.
* The appointment will be for a period of 3 years with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
* The duty station will be at the CIFOR headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.
* We will acknowledge all applications, but we will contact only short-listed candidates.
Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees to: Human Resources Department, CIFOR firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate the position in the email subject line.