July 02, 2011
Development Cooperation Program (AADCP) Phase II
Consulting opportunity for Strengthening ASEAN Mechanisms for Reducing Emission for Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD-plus)
Closing date: 30 July 2011
The ASEAN Secretariat and Australia, through the AADCP II, invites applications for a medium-term (8 person months) consultancy for the above-referenced
Needs and Objectives
The overall goal of the project is to enhance ASEAN’s ability to coordinate efforts for REDD-plus at the regional and international levels to address the issue of climate change and its impact in ASEAN Member States. In particular, it intends to:
· Promote the utilisation of the ASEAN strategy and common positions on REDD-plus in the international arena, and,
· Develop and promote the application of guidelines for measuring and reporting emissions and removals, forest carbon stocks and area changes andestablishing
RELas key entry requirements for REDD-plus programs in ASEAN Member States.
Into consideration the different levels of engagement, policy development and technical capability amongst the ASEAN Member States, it is also expected to
strengthen ASEAN cooperation and contribute to the pool of knowledge regarding REDD-plus methodological requirements. These are necessary for the establishment of an accountable and transparent monitoring mechanism at the national and regional levels.
This consulting opportunity will support the achievement of the aforementioned project objectives. The consultant will work with the ASEAN Member States and provide guidance in addressing methodological issues as key entry requirements for REDD-plus and its subsequent implementation. This includes providing technical leadership in designing feasible, scalable and cost-effective MRV and REL guidelines under ASEAN Member States conditions.
In its proposal the bidder should demonstrate that it meets the following qualifications:
· Postgraduatedegree in Forestry, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, Agriculture, Geospatial Analysis, climate change related fields or other relevant international development field;
· Good knowledge and extensive experience on climate change and forestry related issues with a minimum six (6) years high-level experience especially with regard to deforestation and forest degradation data collection/monitoring, forest carbon assessment, land use and land use change monitoring, UNFCC and other MRV standards and guidelines;
· Proven experience in integrating MRV and REL methodologies into policy planning and capacity building;
· Proven track record in research, survey, activity design and delivering technical assistance, including effective capacity-building, related to forestry and climate
· Understanding of international and regional issues, and knowledge of climate change negotiation in particular on REDD-plus;
· Familiarity with REDD-plus financing concerns and schemes;
· High-level interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills, including experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings;
· Proven experience in dealing with senior government officials, parliamentarians and other identified stakeholders;
· Proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines;
· Proven skills in data analysis, assessment and in related policy advise; and,
· Proven skills in report writing and conversing in English.
Visit our website at http://www.asean.org/jobs/AADCP-22.pdf for further information on job specifications and application procedures. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.