Source : Mailist – January, 11 2012
(Senior) Communications and Advocacy Officer
Wetlands International invites creative and communicative candidates to apply for the position of (senior) Communications and Advocacy Officer.
Overall Purpose of the Job:
The (senior) Communications and Advocacy Officer is responsible for a number of thematic areas in terms of communications and advocacy. S/he contributes to the development of communication strategies for key projects and coordinate their implementation in terms of advocacy, media and online campaigning, facilitating outreach to and public relations with the Wetlands International Networks and target groups.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, your main duties will include:
1. Strategic development of our outreach: (20% of time)
– Develop strategies for outreach, including advocacy work, of projects and programmes.
– Support the inclusion of communications in new programmes or projects.
– Provide guidance to communications staff of other offices.
2. Advocacy: (30%)
– Strategise and facilitate effective advocacy at (international) meetings.
– Maintain contact with key people who are essential for our successful outreach at events (press, key decision makers, partners).
– Maintain an overview on policy developments, for a rapid response.
3 Global media outreach: (20% of time)
– Support the development of a network of journalists and other media (websites, web logs) and keep in close contact.
– Identify and develop outreach opportunities; develop press releases and have direct contact with press.
– Support other offices with media outreach in their region and / or for their publications and projects.
4. Online and offline communications products: (30%)
– Contribute to design, write and edit the web-based information and services.
– Create off-line communication and promotional materials (writing, editing, basic lay-out. Liaise with designers and printing companies).
– Coordinate dissemination of communications materials to and through partnership networks and media.
– Increase web-based visibility by developing and implementing plans for more interactive communications and for visibility on websites including fora outside the wetlands.org network.
Qualifications and Experience
Profile: The successful candidate will be a person who likes to work in a dynamic international environment, has a creative mind and knows how to create effective communication products.
The following skills, qualifications and experience are essential:
1. Appropriate educational qualification on a bachelor or master level.
2. 5 years of relevant experience in advocacy and policy work, campaigning and /or communications.
3. Demonstrated track record in writing and editing articles, website content, reports and press releases.
4. Demonstrated track record in managing campaigns at a strategic level.
5. An excellent command of written and spoken English, preferable on the level of a native speaker.
6. Good interpersonal, team-building and networking skills, demonstrating awareness and respect of different cultures.
7. Some experience with basic graphic design; able to guide designers to produce high level, effective materials.
8. Understanding and interest in wetland issues or related subjects in the field of water, poverty, environment and conservation issues.
9. Networks and experience in a relevant international context.
Preferred skills and competencies:
Ability to work in other languages (particularly Dutch, French or Spanish).
Reporting to the Communications and advocacy Manager
Part-time position, 32 hours per week
Based in: Ede office, Netherlands
Grade: Salary indication: € 3000 – € 3750 full time salary
Wetlands International is a leading global, non-profit organisation dedicated solely to the work of wetlands conservation for poverty alleviation, water management, climate regulation and biodiversity. The organisation has a core staff of around 200 people in 18 offices world‑wide. Wetlands International works with partners in government, NGO’s and the private sector and manages a large number of global level, multi-partner projects as well as working at the grass roots level with community groups. The Ede office is the headquarters of the global organisation. The communications and advocacy team consists of 5 people: a manager, a communication officer / web editor and 3 (senior) communication and advocacy officers working on the full range of outreach tasks for various themes. One of these three positions is currently vacant.
Supported by a range of projects, main thematic areas for the team are peatlands and CO2 emissions, biofuels, mangrove restoration, river management and water scarcity.
We offer a dynamic, international working environment and a diverse range of communication responsibilities.
INSIDE Wetlands International:
The Communications Manager, Communications staff and project staff in other offices, all Headquarters staff.
OUTSIDE Wetlands International:
Partner NGO’s, governmental and corporate policy makers, journalists and other media contacts, various communication specialists.
For applying to this vacancy, please send us a resume and an application letter indicating your motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org before 31 January 2012. Please indicate our reference SCAO-2012 in the subject line of your e-mail.
For more information, send an email to email@example.com.
A first round of interviews is planned for 3 and 6 February 2012. Please indicate in your application if these dates are inconvenient for you.